Welcome to Worldwide Wednesday: F – Pray for Fiji
Thank you for joining us to pray through the alphabet around the world. Today is the letter “F” so we are praying for Fiji.
Republic of the Fiji Islands
Area: 18,274 sq km
Two larger and 110 smaller inhabited islands, both volcanic and coralline.
Population: 854,098 Annual Growth: 0.62%
Peoples: 35 (11% unreached) All peoples
Languages: 21 All languages
Largest Religion: Christian
|Religion||Pop %||Ann Gr|
Challenges for Prayer
Less-reached peoples. The Indians of Fiji form the largest non-Christian community in the Pacific. As few as 3% of them claim to be Christian. The greatest challenges for Indian-majority churches are developing (and retaining) mature and experienced leaders and integrating with the rest of the body of Christ. For specific prayer:
- a) Hindus remain mostly unevangelized. The number of converts to Christianity is accelerating. AoG in particular but also Methodists, Baptists and Pentecostals have seen fruit from this ministry. Multi-racial congregations are springing up among them. Pioneers also has church planting ministries committed to reaching Indians. Pray for real disciples and not mere surface converts; pray also for more culturally appropriate outreach to this people. The minority of Indo-Fijians who are Christians are taking initiative in reaching their own people.
- b) Sikhs and Punjabis retain more of their culture and language, but there is little specific outreach to them. Many are emigrating to Antipodean or Western countries.
- c) Gujaratis in particular have remained unevangelized among all Fiji’s South Asian origin peoples. They have largely retained their caste structures. There are only a few believers from among this group, and no specifically focused outreach to them has ever been made.
- d) The Muslim community is tightly knit, very resistant to the gospel and increasingly Islamized via Saudi and Pakistani influence. Little is being done to reach them; the few converts to Christ suffer from considerable persecution and from the churches’ failure to integrate them. Several Fijian villages have become Muslim. An increasing awareness, regionally and globally, of this people – the Pacific Islands’ largest unreached group – has generated a groundswell of attention and prayer; locally, this is translating into encouraging signs of spiritual interest and response from the Muslim community.
Christian help ministries in Fiji have a Pacific-wide impact. Pray for:
- a) Christian literature. The Bible Society of the South Pacific is based in Fiji. Pray for translation work, printing and distribution of God’s Word throughout the Pacific. Translation and revision work in Fijian and Fiji Hindi are both needed, since good Christian material is lacking in these two languages. Thank God for progress of the NT in Fijian Hindi. CLC has recently opened three Christian bookshops.
- b) Ministry to young people. Fiji has serious sociological problems among its youth, yet there is a responsiveness that needs to be met. Pray for those specifically ministering to young people in Fiji and the Pacific – CEF, YFC, SU and YWAM among youth, and Pacific Students for Christ (IFES) and CCCI among students. The University of the Pacific in Fiji has students from every island territory and is strategic for impacting many islands which have much nominal Christianity.
- c) The more remote communities are much less reached and resourced by the Church. YWAM’s Mobile Ministry seeks to reach these communities by ship and by truck, sharing the gospel and providing medical and dental care.
- d) Media ministry. Fiji has Christian TV and radio stations run from within the country. Pray that they might be fruitful in reaching and discipling many. Radio programmes and the JESUS film are available in all the major languages of Fiji.
Dear Heavenly Father, Thank you for the opportunity to pray for the men, women, boys and girls of Fiji. Strengthen the body of Christ in Fiji. Strengthen the youth ministries through CEF, YFC, SU and YWAM, my your Holy Spirit go forth in a powerful way to gird up those who are inviting Jesus to help them. Give them Godly wisdom, direction, instruction and teaching. Thank you, In Jesus’ name, Amen