“If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask in prayer.”
G – Pray for Greece
Thank you for praying through the alphabet with us in 2017.
We are going to focus on praying for Greek refugees around the world. Thank you for your choice to pray for the lost to be found – that they would find Jesus Christ as their personal Savior. Pray for them to believe God has a plan even for their desperate situation. Thank you.
Greece is a country in southeastern Europe with thousands of islands throughout the Aegean and Ionian seas. Influential in ancient times, it’s often called the cradle of Western civilization. Athens, its capital, retains landmarks including the 5th-century B.C. Acropolis citadel with the Parthenon temple. Greece is also known for its beaches, from the black sands of Santorini to the party resorts of Mykonos.
Why is the country of Greece important to Christians?
Greek culture was introduced throughout the world of the New Testament by Alexander the Great during the intertestamental period. A young military genius, Alexander conquered the entire Persian Empire and more through a series of brilliant campaigns. Alexander’s vision included not only the conquest of the world but the propagation of Greek culture, i.e., the hellenization of all peoples.
Upon his death at the age of thirty-two, his kingdom was divided among three of his generals. The important point here is that the population of the area was subject to direct Greek rule for more than 150 years.
During that time, the Greek language was imposed on the Jewish nation and became, furthermore, the lingua franca of the entire New Testament world. The NT was written in Greek, though Jesus, Paul, James, Peter, and John all doubtless spoke Aramaic and read Hebrew as well.
Area: 131,957 sq km
Southernmost part of Balkan Peninsula in southeast Europe and 150 inhabited islands in the Ionian, Aegean and Mediterranean Seas. The islands constitute 20% of the land area.
Population: 11,183,393 Annual Growth: 0.22%
Peoples: 46 (22% unreached) All peoples
Official language: Greek Languages: 24 All languages
Largest Religion: Christian
|Religion||Pop %||Ann Gr|
Challenges for Prayer
Literature has proven to be a useful tool in the past, but greater variety would be a blessing. Pray for the seed-sowing work of the Greek Bible Society and the Gideons in disseminating the Scriptures and SU in producing Bible reading aids. AMG founded the publishing house O Logos and operates five Christian bookstores around the nation; other publishing ministries include Pergamos and Anogeion.
- Pray for the financial meltdown to drive people to Jesus for lasting peace and security.
- Pray for the Church to be purged of any heresy, syncretism, or division.
- Pray for a clear presentation of the Gospel to reach a nation where very few have heard the Truth.
- Pray for protection for refugees as they travel.
- Pray for separated families to be reunited.
- Pray that refugees would be welcomed and befriended by Christians in their new countries.
- Pray for the wars and unrest in the refugees’ home countries to end.
- Pray for wisdom and compassion for world leaders as they face this crisis.
- Pray that God would sustain the Christian workers who are serving in refugee centers and camps.
- Pray for funding for the refugee outreach center in Athens that is struggling in the current economic crisis.
- Pray for our team going to Greece soon, that God would direct our steps.
- Pray that fruit would be born in the lives of those that we meet and share with.
- Pray that many refugees would find a new hope and home in Christ.